Farmington

History

Settlers began arriving in Empire Township, in which Farmington grew, in the early 1850s. The village of Dakota City began around the intersection of the Minnesota Central, Hastings, and Dakota railroads, and also the Vermillion River. The popular city train station in Dakota City was Farmington Station and non-residents began confusing the two names and identifying the town as Farmington. The town's name was then permanently changed from Dakota City to Farmington. Farmington received its village charter in 1872 making Farmington the second oldest community in Dakota County after the county seat, Hastings

A notable event in Farmington's history is the movement of the Dakota County Fair to Farmington in 1869. Another event, the Great Fire of Farmington on November 22, 1879, destroyed several houses, stores, a hotel, and a grain elevator in the current downtown area. Farmington High School graduated its first class in 1884. Finally, Farmington was one of the first communities in the United States to offer rural free mail delivery in 1897

The town continued to grow throughout the twentieth century. The city celebrated its centennial in 1972. In the recent past, the city has expanded to include several suburban neighborhoods north of the original downtown area. Farmington is still separated by Lakeville to the north and west by farms. However, the community continues to be incorporated in the expanding suburbs of the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area.

Our closest tower to Farmington is located just north of the City limits of Northfield. Residents in lower Farmington who can see our high speed broadband towers can definitely take advantage of our high speed broadband internet services.